CSU General Education: Certificate of Achievement
The California State University Certificate of Achievement is appropriate for students planning to transfer to a campus in the California State University system. Following this pattern of CSU requirements, will permit students to transfer from Napa Valley College to a California State University (CSU) campus without the need, after transfer, to take additional lower division, general education courses to satisfy general education requirements. A minimum of 39 total units is required and for each area a specific number of units must be completed. Courses may be listed in more than one area, but shall not be counted in more than one area, unless otherwise noted. A grade of “C-” or higher (or “P” Pass) is required for A1, A2, A3, and B4 courses.
Each year courses are added and removed from the list of approved courses for this program. These changes are listed in the Napa Valley College catalog and at the ASSIST.org site. Students are advised to consult a counselor to ensure that they are enrolled in courses that will satisfy these requirements. Completion of this Certificate of Achievement will be noted on a student’s transcript. Students pursuing an AS-T or AA-T degree must complete the entire CSU-GE pattern for a minimum of 39 units. Students considering applying to a UC campus should NOT use this GE pattern.
Program Learning Outcomes
Written Communication & Critical Thinking
(NVC Area D1, NVC Area D3, IGETC Area 1, CSU Area A)
- Create and communicate thoughts, ideas, and information effectively.
- Read and interpret college-level texts.
- Conduct research and obtain information from reliable sources.
Physical and Biological Sciences, Mathematics and Quantitative Reasoning
(NVC Area A, IGETC Area 5, CSU Area B1 and B2 NVC Area D2, IGETC Area 2, CSU Area B4)
- Apply scientific principles to measure and observe the physical world.
- Understand the relationship between human behavior and the physical environment.
- Analyze, evaluate, and synthesize information.
- Conduct calculations and solve problems using quantitative reasoning.
Social Sciences, Behavioral Sciences
(NVC Area B, IGETC Area 4, CSU Area D and E)
- Evaluate and apply the principles and methodologies used by the social and behavioral sciences.
- Examine issues in their contemporary as well as historical settings and in a variety of cultural contexts.
Arts & Humanities
(NVC Area C, IGETC Area 3, CSU Area C)
- Understand and appreciate artistic expression and the role of art in culture, history, and social critique.
- Identify unique features among various cultures.
- Describe and demonstrate intercultural competency.
(CSU Area E, NVC PE/Health Education requirement)
- Advance individual knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Set goals and develop plans to achieve them.
- Receive constructive criticism and respond appropriately.
Note: Courses completed for IGETC/CSU GE Certification are the same courses in fulfillment of the respective Certificate of Achievement.
A. Communication in the English Language and Critical Thinking (Nine units minimum. Select one course from A-1, A-2 and A-3.
A-1. Oral Communication
A-2. Written Communication
A-3. Critical Thinking
B. Natural Science and Mathematics (Nine units minimum). Select one from B-1, B-2 and B-4. At least one course from B-1 or B-2 must include a laboratory to meet the B-3 requirement.
B-1. Physical Universe
B-2. Life Forms
B-3. Laboratory Activity
B-4. Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning
C. Arts, Literature, Philosophy and Foreign Languages (Nine units minimum) At least three units must be selected from C-1, and at least three units must be selected from C-2. The remaining units may be selected from C-1 or C-2.
D. Social and Behavioral Sciences ( Nine units minimum) Select three courses. A maximum of two courses may be selected from one category.
D-3. Ethnic Studies
D-4. Gender Studies
D-7. Interdisciplinary Social or Behavioral Science:
D-8. Political Science
D-9. Child Family Studies
D-10. Sociology and Criminology
E. Lifelong Understanding and Self-development (Three units minimum) Only 1.5 units of PE may be used toward meeting this requirement.
E-1. Integrated Organism
E-2. Activity: Physical Education courses
American History and Institutions Graduation Requirement
Select one course from the American History category and one course from American Government category. Courses selected to meet this requirement may also be used for to satisfy Area D, Social and Behavioral Sciences, requirements.
Group 1: HIST-120, HIST-121, HIST-150, HIST-152
Group 2: POLI-120