College Policies

Napa Valley College students are expected to familiarize themselves with all academic policies. The policies and procedures on this page allow students to clearly understand their rights and responsibilities related to learning and teaching across campus. 

Students seeking clarity on policies and procedures beyond those covered in this page should refer to the NVC Board Policy Manual or consult with the appropriate office. 

Academic Freedom

The exercise of Academic Freedom protects the rights of teachers to teach and the rights of students to learn in an environment free from censorship, coercion and other undue restrictions. The NVC community believes that scholarly inquiry is a conversation enriched by diverse voices, backgrounds, and ideas. We promote free discussion and access to information, and respect the new ideas formed in these pursuits. All members of the academic community should be free to assert their ideas and points of view without fear of reprisal.

Reference: NVC BP 4030

Basic Skills Limitation

Limitation. Students are limited to completing no more than 30 units of courses identified as “Pre-collegiate Basic Skills” while enrolled at NVC. Basic skills courses are defined as one or more levels below college level English and one or more levels below intermediate algebra. NVC lists the following as its Basic Skills courses: ENGL-12, ENGL-13, ENGL-16, ENGL-17, ENGL-18, ENGL-19, ENGL-84, ENGL-85, ENGL-90, ENGL-95, ENGL-96, ENGL-97, ESL-54, ESL-55, ESL-60, ESL-65, ESL-70, ESL-75, ESL-80, ESL-85, ESL-106, LRNS-60, MATH-50, MATH-51, MATH-52, MATH-53, MATH-54, MATH-55, MATH-83, MATH-85, MATH-86, MATH-90, MATH-92, MATH-93, MATH-94, MATH-95, MATH-96, MATH-97, MATH-98, MATH-99.

Exemptions. The following students are exempted from the limitation on basic skills enrollment.

  1. Students enrolled in English as a Second Language (ESL) courses
  2. Students identified by the District as having a learning disability as defined in Title 5 § 56036

Students do not lose their exemption status if they are unable to enroll in the next higher level ESL course due to closed enrollment. Students with documented disabilities may petition the Admissions and Records Office for exemption status on a case-by-case basis.

Reference: Title 5 § 55035 - Remedial Coursework Limit

Academic Accommodations

Accommodations (also referred to as academic adjustments and auxiliary aids and services) are provided to students who have a limitation in the educational setting as a result of disability. Examples of accommodations include:

  • Extended time on exams
  • Distraction-reduced examination setting
  • Note-taking assistance in classes
  • Reader or scribe on exams
  • Recorded lectures
  • Tutoring
  • Interpreters
  • Preferential seating
  • Spell check devices
  • Calculators
  • Audio Books
  • Speech to text (for writing)
  • Priority registration

Reference: Disability Support Programs and Services (DSPS)

Distance Education

Another facet of the NVC experience is distance learning or online education. Distance learning students and teachers engage in a cooperative learning experience by accessing a virtual classroom, utilizing a variety of web-based technologies, such as websites, videos, group discussions and projects. Students partake in an interactive style of learning that harnesses the distinctive knowledge and life experiences of each participant.

Distance Education is defined as any part of a course’s instruction in which the instructor and student are separated by distance and interact through the assistance of communication technology. At NVC, distance education classes include both fully online and hybrid (elements of online and in-class work combined at discretionary proportions) courses.

Reference: NVC AP 4105

Institutional Learning Outcomes

Institution-Level Outcomes (ILOs) are the Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) that NVC has defined at the institutional level. The ILOs identify the most important, general skills that students who receive a degree should acquire while attending NVC.

Students who receive a degree from NVC are expected to demonstrate the following:

  1. Communication and Critical Thinking
  2. Scientific and Quantitative Inquiry
  3. Global and Civic Awareness
  4. Intercultural Literacy and Creativity
  5. Personal, Academic, and Career Development

Reference: Office of Research, Planning, and Institutional Effectiveness

Students’ Rights and Responsibilities

Academic Honesty.  In order to maintain the highest academic standards of honesty, NVC students are expected to ensure that their academic work be of their own making. Failure to abide by this standard of conduct is considered to be academic dishonesty.

Upon the first infraction of academic dishonesty, the instructor may do one or more of the following:

  • Give a lower or failing grade on the assignment or exam
  • Refer the student to the Vice President of Student Affairs for student disciplinary action

In the event of a second infraction, upon consultation with the Division Dean, the instructor may do one or more of the following:

  • Fail the student from the course
  • Refer the student to the Vice President of Student Affairs for student disciplinary action

If the student believes he/she is unjustly accused, he/she may appeal the decision to the Vice President of Academic Affairs, or follow the student grievance process through the Office of Student Affairs.

Reference: NVC BP 5505 

Standards of Student Conduct. Students who enroll at NVC are expected to respect the rights of all individuals in the campus community. Every individual operating within the law is guaranteed his/her basic freedoms.

Students may participate in demonstrations or protests as long as they do not prevent or restrict students, faculty members, or other employees of Napa Valley College from pursuing the normal functions essential to the well-being of the college. No person is to endanger the safety of others or the security of college property. Students are expected to obey all local, state, and federal laws and the campus regulations required for the effective operation of Napa Valley College.

The Standards of Student Conduct provide uniform procedures to assure due process when a student is charged with a violation of these standards. All proceedings held in accordance with these regulations shall relate specifically to an alleged violation of the established Standards of Student Conduct.

Reference: NVC BP 5500

Student Complaint and Grievance Procedure

The district believes that all students shall be afforded fair and equitable treatment in the application of all district procedures and regulations. Students who claim that there has been a violation or misapplication of the procedures or regulations set forth in the college catalog, board policies, or operating procedures of the college district or who claim misapplication or denial of student due process may file a grievance.

The Napa Valley College Student Grievance and Complaint Procedures are provided as a means for students to resolve grievances and complaints in an expeditious and fair manner, as well as to educate students in constructive approaches to problem and conflict resolution. It is the policy of the Board of Trustees that there shall be no harassment of or retaliation towards students who file a grievance or complaint, toward the subject of the grievance, or toward those who participate in the process. All proceedings held in accordance with these procedures shall relate to a specific grievance or complaint, with an identified remedy or solution. Nothing in the district procedures prevents the grievant or subject of the grievance from appealing to the Board of Trustees.

Reference: NVC BP 5530

General Guidelines for Student Complaints:

  1. The complainant/grievant must first address the concern directly to the individual or office in violation of NVC policies and/or regulations.
  2. All complaints, except for those relating to harassment or discrimination, must be filed during the semester in which the alleged problem occurred.
  3. A grade assigned by an instructor is not a grievable matter and are final, except in cases of “mistake, fraud, bad faith, or incompetence” as outlined in the CA Education Code § 76224.

Students who believe that their rights have been violated based on alleged action or decision of the Napa Valley Community College District may file a grievance following the steps outlined in the Student Complaint and Grievance Procedure. Grievances and complaints must be filed with the appropriate office as listed below:

For Non-Instructional ComplaintsComplaints regarding the delivery of an administrative or support service by a staff member to a student, or issues occurring during the delivery of counseling by counseling faculty to a student
Office of Student Affairs
(707) 256-7360
Student Services Building, Room 1330

For Instructional Complaints: Complaints occurring during the delivery of instruction or library services within a scheduled class, library service by a faculty member to a student
Office of Academic Affairs
(707) 256-7150
Administration Building, Room 1532

State Complaint Process Notice

Most complaints, grievances or disciplinary matters should be resolved at the campus level. This is the quickest and most successful way of resolving issues involving a California Community College (CCC). You are encouraged to work through the campus complaint process first before escalating issues to any of the following resources. Issues that are not resolved at the campus level may be presented to the following:

  1. Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC): Visit if your complaint is associated with the institution’s compliance with academic program quality and accrediting standards. ACCJC is the agency that accredits the academic programs of the California Community Colleges.
  2. California Community College Chancellor’s Office: Complete an online complaint form at if your complaint does not concern CCC’s compliance with academic program quality and accrediting standards. If your complaint involves unlawful discrimination, file a complaint at

Reference: NVC AP 5500, Student Complaint and Grievance Procedure, Resources for Sexual Misconduct or Discrimination-Title IX          

The Getting Help with Difficulties handout outlines the college's established procedures for resolving any difficulties students might encounter while attending NVC and refers them to the appropriate office supervisor, division chair, division dean or vice president.

Reference: Getting Help with Difficulties at NVC


The District is committed to equal opportunity in educational programs, employment, and all access to institutional programs and activities.

The District, and each individual who represents the District, shall provide access to its services, classes, and programs without regard to national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race or ethnicity, color, medical condition, genetic information, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, or military and veteran status, or because he/she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.

Reference: BP/AP 3410

Prohibition of Harassment

All forms of harassment are contrary to basic standards of conduct between individuals and are prohibited by state and federal law, as well as this policy, and will not be tolerated.  The District is committed to providing an academic and work environment that respects the dignity of individuals and groups.  The District shall be free of sexual harassment and all forms of sexual intimidation and exploitation including acts of sexual violence.  It shall also be free of other unlawful harassment, including that which is based on any of the following statuses:  race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation of any person, or military and veteran status, or because he/she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics.

Inquiries concerning compliance may be addressed to the following individuals:

For incidents involving any employee of the college:

Title IX Coordinator:

Charo Albarran
Executive Director, Human Resources
(707) 256-7100

For incidents involving only students:

Title IX Coordinator:

Oscar De Haro
Assistant Superintendent/Vice President of Student Affairs
(707) 256-7360

Reference: Resources for Sexual Misconduct or Discrimination-Title IX , NVC BP 3430

Open Enrollment

Unless specifically exempted by statute or regulation, every course, course section or class, reported for state aid, wherever offered and maintained by the District, shall be fully open to enrollment and participation by any person who has been admitted to the college and who meets such prerequisites as may be established pursuant to Title 5 Section 55003.  Enrollment may be subject to any priority system that has been established (See BP/AP 5055 Enrollment Priorities).  Enrollment may also be limited to students meeting properly validated prerequisites and co-requisites (See BP/AP 4260 Prerequisites, Co-requisites, and Advisories), or due to other practical considerations such as exemptions set out in statute or regulation.

Reference: NVC BP 5052


Regular attendance in all classes is important for satisfactory academic progress. Napa Valley College attendance regulations make provisions for a limited number of unavoidable absences. However, a student who is absent for as many times as a class meets each week will have exhausted this provision. An instructor may request verification of absences. Further absences may cause the instructor to drop the student from the class.  

Programs and courses which have safety training or external certification requirements may have a more stringent attendance policy.  For more information, students should refer to their program handbook or class syllabus. 

Students who do not attend the first class meeting may be dropped or lose priority on the waiting list.   

Online course attendance is defined as active participation in the course. Instructors may utilize any or all of the following methods to document active online participation:

  • Completion of tests 
  • Submission/completion of assignments 
  • Participation in discussion forums 
  • Other methods as stated on course syllabus

Students failing to actively participate in an online course can be subject to provisions of the Attendance Policy.

Reference: NVC BP/AP 5070

Class Wait Lists

Wait lists are established for some classes at the time the class schedule is created. During online registration, students are given the option to sign up on a class wait list in the event that the class if full, as long as there are available spots on the waitlist. Once a seat becomes available, waitlisted students are automatically registered in the class in the order they are on the list and have the opportunity to complete enrollment by paying for the class.

Being on the wait list does not guarantee a seat in the class.

Reference: Wait Listing Classes

Multiple and Overlapping Enrollments

Students are not permitted to enroll in two or more sections of the same credit course during the same term unless the length of the course provides that the student is not enrolled in more than one section at any given time.

NVC does not permit enrollment in two or more classes where the meeting times overlap.

Reference: NVC BP/AP 4226, Title 5 § 55007

Course Audit Option

Students may audit some classes offered by Napa Valley College. To audit a course, students must submit an Application for Admission and an Audit Request Form signed by the course instructor.

Priority in class enrollment shall be given to students enrolled in the course for credit. Students may not change their enrollment status at a later time to receive credit for the course.

NVC permits students to audit a credit course for a fee of $15.00 per semester unit or the maximum allowable by regulation. Students enrolled in classes to receive credit for ten (10) or more semester credit units shall not be charged a fee to audit three or fewer semester units per semester.

Reference: NVC BP/AP 4070

Advanced Placement Credit

Students who pass an Advanced Placement Exam (AP) with a score of 3, 4, or 5 may obtain college semester credits to be applied to the Associate Degree general education requirements at NVC, the California State University General Education (CSU GE), and/or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) certification.

The following guidelines describe the use of AP exams to fulfill general education, major, or prerequisite requirements:

  1. Credit will be given for scores of 3 or higher and will be used for associate degree general education according to the chart on page 38 (unit values in parenthesis). Credit will not be equated to specific courses, but rather general education areas.
  2. Use of AP exams for the major will be determined by the program coordinator.
  3. Use of AP exams for satisfying prerequisites will follow the prerequisite challenge process.
  4. Official AP exams must be sent by College Board to NVC. Exams posted on High School transcripts will not be accepted as official for credit.

Students who plan to complete an Associate degree, CSU certification, or IGETC certification with NVC must submit the following:

  • An official AP, IB, or CLEP exam results
  • Request for an Official Transcript Evaluation

For more information about Advanced Placement Credit, please reference the Credit for Prior Learning section of the catalog.

Reference: NVC BP/AP 4235, AP 4236

Course Repetition

Students may repeat a course up to two times in which a substandard grade (“D,” “F,” “NC,” “NP”) was earned or substandard academic progress (“W”) was recorded. Under special circumstances, students may repeat courses in which a “C” or better grade was earned.

When course repetition occurs, the permanent academic record shall be annotated in such a manner that all work remains legible, insuring a true and complete academic history.

Students may withdraw from credit courses without a “W” notation in extraordinary conditions and if the withdrawal is authorized by the district.

NVC permits students to repeat certain types of courses under circumstances outlined in Title 5 § 55040, which include:

Extenuating Circumstances. Repetition of a course due to extenuating circumstances, including verified cases of accidents, illness, or other circumstances beyond the student’s control; enrollment in a course not designated as repeatable for a maximum of three (3) times; or Repetition of a course for up to two (2) times to alleviate a substandard grade; additional enrollment may be granted with a petition*

Significant Lapse of Time. Repetition of a course where a satisfactory grade was received due to significant lapse of time. Significant lapse of time is defined as three (3) years or as required by specific program mandates*.

Variable Unit Open-Entry/Open-Exit. Repetition of a portion of a variable unit open-entry/open-exit course

Occupational Work Experience. Repetition of an occupational work experience course under circumstances described in Title 5 § 55253

Disability Accommodation. Repetition of a Special Course by a student with disability on the basis of disability-related accommodation, under which circumstance the student may repeat the course any number of times*

Legally Mandated Training. Repetition of a credit course any number of times to meet legally mandated training requirements as a condition of paid or volunteer employment

Reference: NVC BP/AP 4225

Repeatable Courses

Only the following types of courses may be designated as repeatable, consistent with the requirements of Title 5 Section 55040 and 55041:

  1. Courses for which repetition is necessary to meet the major requirements of CSU or UC for completion of a bachelor’s degree;
  2. Intercollegiate athletics courses; and
  3. Intercollegiate academic or vocational competition courses.

Such courses may be repeated no more than four times for semester courses or six times for quarter courses. All courses designated as repeatable under these provisions will be listed as such in the college catalog and on the Course Outline of Record. All enrollments in a course so designated will count towards total allowable repetitions. A student will be considered “enrolled” any time they receive an evaluative or non-evaluative symbol on their record.

Reference: NVC AP 4227 , AP 4229

Courses that are Related in Content (CRIC)

Courses related in content (CRIC) are defined as groups of active participatory courses that share a similar primary educational objective in physical education, visual arts, and performing arts. Such courses are not repeatable.

NVC permits students to enroll up to four (4) times within each group of courses related in content, with a limitation that each course in the group may only be taken once.

DANCE Families of Courses

Ballet: DANS-134, DANS-134B, DANS-134D

Dance Survey: DANS-132, DANS-133

Jazz Dance: DANS-136, DANS-136B, DANS-136D

Modern Dance: DANS-138, DANS-138B, DANS-138D

Production: DANS-140, DANS-140C, DANS-141

Street Jazz: DANS-135, DANS-135D

World Dance Forms: DANS-128A, DANS-128B, DANS-128C

MUSIC Families of Courses

Instrumental Music Ensemble: MUSI-152, MUSI-185, MUSI-280

Instrumental Technique: MUSI-140, MUSI-142, MUSI-240, MUSI-242

Large Ensembles: MUSI-160, MUSI-176, MUSI-179, MUSI-181

Music Technology:MUSI-124

Musical Theater Production: THEA-153, THEA-155, MUSI-170, MUSI-172, MUSI-173, MUSI-183, MUSI-223, MUSI-243

Piano: MUSI-135, MUSI-138, MUSI-235, MUSI-238

Vocal Music Ensemble: MUSI-161, MUSI-166, MUSI-260, MUSI-169, MUSI-266

Vocal Technique: MUSI-130, MUSI-132, MUSI-133, MUSI-230, MUSI-232, MUSI-143


Aerobic Arts: KINE-131, KINE-131B, KINE-133, KINE-133B

Aerobics: KINE-129, KINE-129B

Aquatic Aerobics: KINE-102A, KINE-102B

Badminton: KINE-113, KINE-113B

Flexibility: KINE-146, KINE-146B, KINE-154, KINE-154B

Golf: KINE-112, KINE-112B

Physical Fitness: KINE-103, KINE-149, KINE-149B

Swimming: KINE-100, KINE-100B, KINE-147

Team Sports: KINE-176, KINE-176B

Tennis: KINE-123, KINE-123B

Volleyball: KINE-125, KINE-125B, KINE-127

Walking: KINE-148, KINE-148B

Weight Training: KINE-151, KINE-151B, KINE-151C

Yoga: KINE-130, KINE-130B

THEATER ARTS Families of Courses

Acting Techniques: THEA-122, THEA-210, THEA-220, THEA-244

Musical Theater Production: THEA-153, THEA-155, MUSI-170, MUSI-172

Technical Theater: THEA-140, THEA-141, THEA-142, THEA-143, THEA-144

Theater Production: THEA-151, THEA-152, THEA-154, THEA-156, THEA-161, THEA-162,

VISUAL ARTS Families of Courses

Ceramic Forms: ARTS-140, ARTS-141, ARTS-240, ARTS-241

Ceramic Surfaces and Technology: ARTS-244, ARTS-246, ARTS-247, ARTS-248, ARTS-249

Digital Art and Design: DART-120, DART-130

Drawing: ARTS-110, ARTS-111, ARTS-112, ARTS-210

Foundations: ARTS-101, ARTS-102

Painting: ARTS-105, ARTS-120, ARTS-220

Photography: PHOT-121, PHOT-150

Sculpture: ARTS-145, ARTS-150

Workshop and Portfolio Development: ARTS-260, ARTS-261

Dropping a Class/Withdrawals

Students who cannot continue or no longer wish to be enrolled in a class are responsible for officially dropping or withdrawing from the class. Non-attendance in a class does not guarantee that the instructor will drop a student from the class, and may result in receipt of an unsatisfactory grade.

Students may drop or withdraw from classes online through WebAdvisor or in person by submitting a completed Drop Card to the Admissions and Records Office. Students should refer to the website for specific drop and withdrawal deadlines.

Reference: NVC BP/AP 5070

Independent Study Application Procedure for Students

Students may earn up to a total of twelve units over the total period of student residency through independent study. Independent study courses are planned by the instructor and student together. The course will include weekly meetings to discuss the student’s progress. In a typical program, 50 hours of work in a semester will earn one unit.

The independent study option may not be used in lieu of existing credit courses which cover the same or similar subject matter.

Independent study must be approved by the instructor, division chair, and the Vice President of Academic Affairs. Once the form is approved by the instructor and division chair, the student must enroll in the class.

Independent Study Forms are available in the Office of Academic Affairs website.

Reference: NVC AP 4101

Prerequisites, Co-requisites and Advisories

Napa Valley College strives to guide students into courses in which they will have the greatest chance for academic success. To achieve this goal, the catalog listings include statements concerning prerequisites, corequisites or other limitations on enrollment.

Prerequisite. A “prerequisite” means a course that a student is required to complete prior to enrolling in a specific course or program.

Corequisite. A “corequisite” means a course that a student is required to take simultaneously with another.

Advisory. An “advisory” or “recommended preparation” means a condition of enrollment that a student is advised, but not required, to meet before enrolling in a course or program.

The college has developed procedures to ensure that such limitations be established, reviewed, and enforced in a fair and consistent manner. The following applies to all courses offered at Napa Valley College:

  1. No student may receive credit for a course which is a prerequisite to a course he/she has already completed.
  2. In order for a course to count as a prerequisite, a minimum grade of “C” must be earned. (Exceptions may be made only by instructor assessment of relevant background experience.)

Challenging a Prerequisite

Prerequisites may be challenged for the following reasons:

  1. A student has the knowledge or ability to succeed in the course or program despite not meeting the prerequisite.
  2. A student has not completed the health and safety prerequisite, but can demonstrate that he/she does not pose a threat to self or others.
  3. A student will suffer undue delay (a semester or more) in attaining a degree or certificate, as specified in the student’s educational plan, because:
    1. A course has not been made reasonably available or
    2. The course has limitation on enrollment due to intercollegiate competition or public performance or
    3. Enrollment has been limited to a set group of students.
  4. The prerequisite or condition on enrollment is in violation of Title 5.
  5. The prerequisite has not been established in accordance with the district’s process for establishing prerequisites and corequisites.
  6. The prerequisite is either unlawfully discriminatory or is being applied in an unlawfully discriminatory manner.

Contact Counseling Services to obtain more information regarding challenging prerequisites.

Reference: NVC BP/AP 4260

Academic Renewal

The academic renewal policy allows a qualified student to remove previously recorded, substandard academic work from his/her grade point average (GPA).

In accordance with Title 5 § 55764-5, NVC allows a student to disregard up to 30 semester units of substandard course work from the calculation of the GPA. Disregarded coursework and grade will remain on the student’s transcript, and an “F” for “Forgiveness” will appear next to the grade to denote this change. The substandard grade will no longer be included in the calculation of the cumulative GPA.

Reference: NVC BP/AP 4240

Application for Academic Renewal

Students must complete an Academic Renewal form, available in Counseling Services. All requests must be reviewed and signed by a counselor.

Recording of Academic Renewal

When academic work is alleviated, grades are not removed. They are noted and subtracted from the grade point average. All entries remain legible so that a true and complete record is maintained. There is no assurance that alleviated courses will be treated similarly by other educational institutions outside this district.

Finality of Grades/Student Records

The final grade is wholly within the responsibility of the instructor, regardless of whether it is an A, B, C, D, F, P, NP, or I.

Note: In a number of courses, principally in English, foreign languages, science and mathematics, a student may not progress to a more advanced study in that subject in which the student has received a “D” grade for a prerequisite course.

Grade Changes

The instructor of the course shall determine the grade to be awarded to each student. The determination of the student's grade by the instructor is final in the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith, or incompetence. “Mistake” may include, but is not limited to, errors made by an instructor in calculating a student’s grade and clerical errors. “Fraud” may include, but is not limited to, inaccurate recording or change of a grade by any person who gains access to grade records without authorization.

Reference: NVC BP 4231/AP 4231

Grade and Credit

Definition of a Unit of Credit

A standard unit of college credit represents three hours per week of class work and related activities over the course of our standard eighteen-week semester. The number of hours spent in class per week will vary based on the format of the course. Each unit of credit is assigned as follows:

Lecture: One hour per week of work in class, two hours of outside work.

Lecture/Lab or Integrated Lab: Two hours per week of work in class, one hour of outside work.

Lab: Three hours of work in class. Some lab classes, especially in the Sciences, require outside work.

Grade Points and Units

Napa Valley College assigns grades according to the following standards of work performed by students:

A     Excellent

B     Good

C     Satisfactory

D     Passing, less than Satisfactory

F     Failing

P     Satisfactory & credit awarded (passing)

NP  No credit (not passing)

W   Withdrawal & no credit

EW   Excused Withdrawal

INC   Incomplete

IB*    Incomplete

IC*    Incomplete

ID*    Incomplete

IF*    Incomplete

IP     Course in progress

RD    Report delayed

AU    Audit

MW  Military withdrawal

*See Incomplete Grades

A student’s grade point average (GPA) is computed by dividing the total grade points earned by the total units attempted. Units attempted on a P/NP basis are not used for computing the grade point average. Grade points are earned as follows:

A = 4, B = 3, C = 2, D = 1, F = 0, P = 0, W = 0, I = 0

For example, a student who earns 3 units of A, 3 units of B, 2 units of P*, 5 units of C, 2 units of D, and 1 unit of F has a grade point average of 2.36.

(3 x 4) + (3 x 3) + (5 x 2) + (2 x 1) + (1 x 0) = 2.36


*P/NP are not used for computing GPA

Grading and Academic Record Symbols

Non-evaluative grades are grades assigned that do not carry credit for the student such as:

INC — Incomplete. Students who cannot complete academic work by the end of the semester because of an emergency or other justifiable reason may contract for an “I” (incomplete) grade. An Incomplete Grade Agreement may be obtained at the Admissions and Records Office and must be signed by the student and the instructor. This form includes the conditions for removal of the “IB, IC, ID, IF or INC.” The grade will be indicated after the I (example “B” in IB). The grade will be assigned in the event the conditions are not met.

IP — In Progress. The “IP” symbol shall be used to denote that the class extends beyond the normal end of an academic term. It indicates that work is “in progress,” but that assignment of an evaluative grade must await its completion. The “IP” symbol shall remain on the student’s transcript in order to satisfy enrollment documentation. An “IP” symbol shall not be used in calculating grade-point averages. The student must register in the same course for the next semester. Failure to do so will result in an assignment of a grade by the instructor in place of the “IP.”

MW — Military Withdrawal. Upon verification of military orders, the symbol “MW” will be assigned to students who are called to military service and withdraw from courses. Military withdrawal shall not be counted in progress probation or dismissal calculations.

RD — Report Delayed. The “RD” symbol may be assigned by the Dean of Admissions and Records only. It is to be used when there is a delay in reporting the grade of a student due to circumstances beyond the control of the student. It is a temporary notation to be replaced by a permanent symbol as soon as possible. “RD” shall not be used in calculating grade-point averages.

W — Withdrawal. A “W” is a grade indicated when the student has withdrawn from a course. It is not included in the grade point average computation. (See “Withdrawal Policy.”)

Reference: NVC BP/AP 4230

Grades: “Pass/No Pass” Grading

Students may choose, no later than the 5th Friday of the semester, to change enrollment in a class to Pass/No Pass basis, rather than receive a letter grade. Academic performance equivalent to a grade of “C” is required to earn credit (Pass- P). Forms are available online and in the Admissions and Records Office.

The total number of units taken for “Pass/No Pass” may not exceed 12 semester units in courses applicable to the associate degree (courses numbered 90-399). There is no restriction on the number of units that may be taken for Pass/No Pass in non- degree applicable course work.

Pass/No Pass grading requires students to regularly attend class and complete course work. A student will receive a “P” on his/her transcript if class work is of “C” quality or better. An incomplete designation will be available to students using the P/ NP option in conformance with the grading policy.

Grades: Incomplete

Students who are unable to complete academic work by the end of the semester because of an emergency or other justifiable reason may contract for an “I” (incomplete) grade. The Incomplete Grade Agreement may be obtained at the Admissions and Records Office and must be signed by the student and the instructor. This form includes the conditions for removal of the “IB, IC, ID, IF or INC.” The grade will be indicated after the “I” (example “B” in IB). The grade will be assigned in the event the conditions are not met.

A final grade shall be assigned when the work has been completed or when the time limit for completing the work has passed. The final date of completion shall be a joint decision of the instructor and student but shall, in no case, exceed a time limit of one semester beyond the end of the semester in which the work was originally to have been completed. A student may petition the Vice President of Student Affairs for an extension if there are unusual circumstances. The Vice President, with the concurrence of the instructor, may grant the extension.

Progress Probation, Dismissal and Readmission


Standards for Probation

A student who has enrolled in 12 or more semester units at Napa Valley College is subject to the probation policy of the college. (BP 4250/AR 4250)

Definitions of Probation

The first semester in which a student shows a cumulative grade point average (GPA) below 2.0 for all units completed at NVC, the student will be placed on academic probation—First Semester Status.

The second semester in which a student maintains less than A 2.0 cumulative GPA, the student will be placed on academic probation—Second Semester Status.

The third semester in which a student maintains less than a 2.0 cumulative GPA, the student will be placed on Academic Dismissal Status.

Progress Probation

The first semester in which a student earns grades of “W,” “I,” “NC,” and/or “NP” in 50% or more of his/her cumulative units of enrollment, the student will be placed on Progress Probation—First Semester Status.

The second semester in which a student earns grades of “W,” “I,” “NC,” and/or “NP” in 50% or more of his/her cumulative units of enrollment, the student will be placed on Progress Probation— Second Semester Status.

The third semester in which a student earns grades of “W,” “I,” “NC,” and/or “NP” in 50% or more of his/her cumulative units of enrollment, the student will be placed on Progress Dismissal Status.

 Effects of Probation

Academic and Progress Probation—First Semester: After being placed on first semester probation, the student may Enroll for a second semester.

Academic and Progress Probation—Second Semester: During second semester probation the student must meet with a Counselor prior to enrolling in a third semester. Students may be required to meet interventions determined in consultations with a counselor.

Removal from Probation

Academic Probation: When the cumulative GPA of a student on Academic probation becomes a 2.0 or higher, student will be Removed from Academic Probation.

Progress Probation: When a student’s grade notations of “W,” “I,” “NC,” and/or “NP” are less than 50% of student’s cumulative units of enrollment at NVC, the student will be removed from progress probation.


Standards for Dismissal

A student on academic probation will be subject to dismissal if that student’s GPA has remained below a 2.0 for each of three consecutive semesters.

A student on progress probation will be subject to dismissal if that student’s grade notations of “W,” “I,” “NC,” and/or “NP” have remained at 50% or more of student’s units for each of three consecutive semesters.

Effects of Dismissal

The student who has failed to improve their GPA or to make progress for a third semester will be dismissed. A student placed on Dismissal Status during Fall Semester will not be allowed to re-enroll until the following Fall Semester. A student placed on Dismissal Status during Spring Semester will not be allowed to re-enroll until the following Spring Semester.

Notification of probation and Dismissal Status and Dismissal Students will be notified of their placement on 1st Semester Probation, 2nd Semester probation, Dismissal Status, or Dismissal after the semester’s grades have been posted.


Students who are returning after academic or progress dismissal must meet with a counselor prior to enrolling in classes. Returning students will be placed on Dismissal Status and may be required to meet interventions determined in Consultation with a counselor.

Exception: Returning students on Academic or Progress Probation (not Dismissal) who have not attended NVC for at least 3 years (excluding summer session) may apply for a probation waiver, a petition requiring a counselor’s signature.

Students on Dismissal Status who have returned and again fail to earn grades of 2.0 or above or to make progress will be dis- missed, this time for a year.

Student Right of Appeal

Students who feel they have been placed on probation, Dismissal Status, or on Dismissal in error will have the right to appeal. Students who feel they have legitimate mitigating circumstances may also appeal their placement on probation, Dismissal Status or Dismissal.1

The Associate Dean of Enrollment and Outreach Services will determine the legitimacy of probation or dismissal status appeals. If the Associate Dean of Enrollment and Outreach Services rejects the appeal, the student may appeal the decision to the Vice President of Student Affairs.

The Vice President of Student Affairs, if necessary in consultation with a counselor and/or faculty member, will determine the legitimacy of dismissal or probation appeals.1

Responses to appeals will be in writing, and will state the reason or reasons for the action taken.

Reference: NVC BP/AP 4250

Acceptance of Transfer and Alternative Credit

Applicants who are eligible for standard readmission to another accredited college may be admitted to NVC with transfer credits in accordance with the evaluation of their transcripts initiated by the Counseling Division. Units earned elsewhere may be applied toward fulfillment of NVC Graduation requirements only if they are lower division units.

Credit for Prior Learning

Board Policy 4235 establishes that credit for prior learning may be earned for eligible courses approved by the District for students who satisfactorily pass an authorized assessment. Authorized assessments may include the evaluation of approved external standardized examinations, Joint Services Transcripts, student-created portfolios, and credit by examination.

For more information about AP, IB and CLEP exam results, please reference the Credit for Prior Learning section of the catalog.

Reference: NVC BP 4235/AP 4235

Military Service Credit

Veterans may receive credit for military service by submitting their official separation papers (Form DD214) to the Admissions and Records Office. A minimum of six months of service, including basic or recruit training, and an honorable discharge entitles the veteran to 3 units of health education, and 3 units of physical education. Those with more than one year of service may receive an additional 3 units elective credit for military service.

In-service training is evaluated on an individual basis. Credit is based on ACE recommendations. All units awarded are elective credit. Students should submit the appropriate papers during the first semester of enrollment to the Transcript Evaluator, Admissions and Records Office.

Transfer Credits

NVC accepts many lower division college or university units earned at other U.S. regionally accredited institutions. These transferred units may be used to satisfy graduation requirements. Official transcripts should be sent to:

Napa Valley College
Admissions and Records Specialist
Admissions and Records Office
2277 Napa-Vallejo Highway
Napa, CA 94558

The Admissions and Records Specialist will determine eligibility for, and extent of, credit. In general, there are no limits to the number of units a student may transfer to Napa Valley College. Courses may be used to meet degree requirements at NVC even if they have been used to meet requirements at another college or even if they are several years old.

NVC does not grant college credit for courses completed at non-accredited colleges/universities, for life experiences or for upper division courses. See the graduation requirements for more information. Allow at least 8-10 weeks for evaluation of transcripts from other institutions during non-peak periods. During peak periods, evaluations could take longer to process.

Students who are receiving financial aid, veteran’s benefits, or who are currently enrolled will receive priority. To expedite an evaluation, students must make an appointment with a counselor. Contact the General Counseling Center in Rm 1339A or call (707) 256-7220.

Academic Honors

Students are placed on the NVC President’s Honor List each semester that they are enrolled for a letter grade in 12 or more units with a GPA of 3.5 or higher. This special recognition is noted on the student’s permanent record.

Students who complete an AA or AS degree with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher earn a special notation of “President’s Honors at Graduation” on their NVC diploma.

Students who have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher at the time they apply for graduation are invited to apply to be the valedictory speaker at commencement. A committee will choose the valedictory speaker from all applicants.

Phi Theta Kappa
Students with a GPA of 3.5 or higher and at least 12 units of transferable or degree applicable credits are eligible to join the NVC chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, the international honor society of two-year colleges.

Computer and Network Use

NVC has the right to monitor any and all aspects of the computer use and telephone voice mail systems, including employee or student email or voice mail, to ensure compliance with policies and procedures. The computers, computer accounts, and voice mail accounts given to employees and students are to assist them in the performance of their job duties or their academic studies. Employees and students should not have any expectation of privacy in anything they create, send, or receive via the computer or the telephone. The computer and telecommunication systems belong to the District and are intended for business and academic purposes only.

NVC’s Computer and Network Use policy applies to all students, faculty, and staff, and covers personal computers, workstations, mainframes, minicomputers, and associated peripherals, software and information resources, regardless of whether used for administration, research, teaching or other purposes.

Reference: NVC BP/AP 3720

Copyrighted Material

NVC abides by all relevant sections of the Education Code and United States copyright law. Procedures have been established to ensure compliance with guidelines for acceptable use of copyrighted materials by employees and students. It also outlines ownership determination of intellectual property created by employees and describes the intent to protect the District’s intellectual property from copyright infringement.

Reference: NVC BP/AP 3710

Drug-​Free Environment 

NVC is committed to providing its employees and students with a drug-free workplace and campus environment.

The unlawful manufacture, distribution dispensing, possession or use of alcohol or any controlled substance is prohibited on NVC property, during NVC-sponsored field trips, activities or workshops, and in any facility or vehicle operated by the District.

Violation of this prohibition will result in appropriate action up to and including termination of employment, expulsion, and referral for prosecution, or, as permitted by law, may require satisfactory participation in an alcohol or drug abuse assistance or rehabilitation program.

Drug or alcohol counseling, treatment, or rehabilitation or re-entry programs or referrals are available to employees or students. NVC provides confidential referrals through an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for employees and their families needing assistance with drug or alcohol abuse. These program can be accessed through the Human Resources office.

Students may contact the Student Health Center or the Office of Student Affairs for resources or assistance. The Student Health Center also provides counseling, alcohol and drug abuse education information, and resources for students.

For confidential assistance and referral regarding drug and alcohol use, contact:

Student Health Center
(707) 256-7780
Building 2250
Office of Student Affairs
(707) 256-7360
Student Services Building, Room 1330

Reference: NVC BP/AP 3550

Reporting of Crimes

The Superintendent/President shall assure that, as required by law, reports are prepared of all occurrences reported to College Police of and arrests for crimes committed on campus that involve violence, hate violence, theft or destruction of property, illegal drugs, or alcohol intoxication.  The Superintendent/President shall further assure that required reports of non-criminal acts of hate violence are prepared.  Such reports shall be made available as required by law.

Copies of the report may be obtained by accessing the College Police website.

Reference: NVC BP/AP 3515

Smoking on Campus

Out of concern for the health, well-being, and safety of all staff and students, the District has designated the interiors of all campus buildings and all exterior areas as non-smoking areas.  Smoking on the Napa Valley College campus will be permitted only in specific designated outdoor areas which are at least 30 feet from doorways, windows, and ventilation systems that minimize exposure to second-hand smoke and will not interfere with travel between buildings.  Furthermore, if parking lots are used, smoking will not be permitted near the Child Care Center, athletic fields, or the Health Services Clinic.  The term smoking in this policy refers to cigarette, cigar, pipe, vaping, or other means of smoking tobacco or other products.

This policy recognizes that smoking can interfere with the academic and work environment and that some individuals are susceptible to injury from prolonged exposure to smoke.  In addition, scientific research has documented the harmful effects of second-hand smoke.  To help educate the Napa Valley College population about the hazards of tobacco, as funds allow, the college will offer smoking cessation activities.

The success of this policy depends on the consideration and cooperation of smokers and nonsmokers.  All employees and students share in the responsibility for adhering to and enforcing the policy.  Anyone smoking in non-smoking areas should be requested to move to a designated area.

Reference: NVC BP 3570

Speech: Time, Place, and Manner

NVC is committed to providing its students, employees, and the community at large the ability to exercise their rights of free expression, subject to the time, place, and manner contained in NVC Board Policy 3900.

The campus(s) of the District are non-public forums, except for those areas that are designated public forums available for the exercise of expression by students, employees, and members of the public. Necessary administrative procedures have been established to reasonably regulate the time, place, and manner of the exercise of free expression in the designated public forums. These procedures shall not prohibit the right of students to exercise free expression, including but not limited to the use of bulletin boards, the distribution of printed materials or petitions in those parts of the college designated as areas generally available to students and the community, and the wearing of buttons, badges, or other insignia.

NVC prohibits speech that is defamatory, obscene according to current legal standards, or which so incites others as to create a clear and present danger of the commission of unlawful acts on NVC property or the violation of NVC policies or procedures, or the substantial disruption of the orderly operation of the District.

Nothing in NVC’s policy shall prohibit the regulation of hate violence directed at students in a manner that denies their full participation in the educational process (Education Code Section 66301(e)), so long as the regulation conforms to the requirements of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, and of Section 2 of Article 1 of the California Constitution.

Students may be disciplined for harassment, threats, or intimidation unless such speech is constitutionally protected.

Reference: NVC BP/AP 3900

Student Records

Student academic records are maintained by the Admissions and Records office. Academic records are those records that are directly related to a student and maintained by an educational agency or institution or by a party acting for the agency or institution. Records are retained and destroyed pursuant to Napa Valley College Board Policies 5040 and sections 59020 through 59029 of Title 5, California Administrative Code.

Students are responsible for regularly checking their NVC e-mail and account to ensure the receipt of registration and financial aid information. For information on procedures for student records retention or destruction, contact the Admissions and Records Office.

Release of Student Information
The following statements serve as public notice that information regarded by Napa Valley Community College District as “Student Information” can be released for distribution unless a student submits a Napa Valley College “Student Information Release” form available at the Office of Admissions and Records.

Directory information includes:

  • Name
  • Email address
  • Major field of study
  • Current enrollment
  • Dates of attendance
  • Degrees and awards received
  • Most recent institution attended
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams

The above categories of information will not be released if the college determines that such release is not in the best interests of the student. For more information on this policy, contact the Admissions and Records Office (707) 256-7200.

Pursuant to the Solomon Amendment (Public Law 104-208 and 104-206), directory information, including student addresses, will be released to the Department of Defense if requested for recruiting purposes. Students who do not want their name released should complete a denial of release form.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA)

All student records are kept in accordance with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. A student may request access to his or her individual records and may challenge the accuracy of the record or the appropriateness of its retention.

A student’s consent is needed for the release of records covered by the act. Student consent is not required for release of records to agencies entitled to access under the provisions of the act, e.g., campus officials, other schools, federal educational and auditing officers, military personnel, and requests in connection with the application or receipt of financial aid. These provisions apply to records the student has requested or given consent to be released. Questions about the colleges records procedures should be directed to the Associate Dean, Enrollment and Outreach Services. Complaints as to improper release of records may be filed with the following agency:

Department of Education
600 Independence Avenue, S.W.,
Washington, D.C. 20202-4605

Reference: NVC BP/AP 5040

Student Right-to-Know Information

In compliance with the Student Right-to-Know and Campus Security Act of 1990 (Public Law 101-542), it is the policy of NVC to provide information to the public on the educational outcomes of a specific group of students and the safety and security of the campus.

Information about NVC’s enrollment trends, student demographic, and student achievement may be accessed through the Office of Research, Planning, and Institutional Effectiveness website.

Campus safety information may be obtained through the College Police website.

Reference: NVC BP/AP 3500 , NVC Factbook

Weapons on Campus

Firearms, knives, explosives, or other dangerous objects are prohibited on any NVC campus, NVC center, or in any facility of the District except for activities conducted under the direction of District officials or as authorized by an official law enforcement agency.

Any person who believes that he/she may properly possess a firearm or other weapon on campus or in a center or other facility of NVC must promptly notify the College Police at (707) 256-7770, and obtain written permission from College Police to possess a firearm or other weapon on campus.

Reference: NVC BP/AP 3530