The Culinary Arts Professional Associate Degree is designed to be a foundational basis for those seeking a career in culinary arts. It will enable those to enter into a field, that otherwise may be restrictive solely using work experience to advance. It can be used as a stand alone achievement in professional development, as well as a precursor to pursuing a Bachelors Degree in related fields.
Cooks, Sous Chefs, Pastry Cooks, Executive Chefs, Executive Pastry Chefs of all calibers: From Stand Alone Casual Operations to Michelin Rated Establishment - Culinary Fundamentals for Food Writers, those Seeking Careers in Social Media & Other Broadcast Channels, Entrepreneurs of Specialty Food Products, Food & Beverage Directors, Restaurant General Managers, Hotel Managers, Sales and Marketing Managers, Sommeliers, Beverage Managers, Chefs working at customizing food for clients at medium to large sized companies/institutions, Writers for food columns and blog, Special Events Managers, Cross Train into Culinary Farming
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate working in a professional kitchen environment observing Health Department regulations.
- Perform calculations related to scaling product quantities.
- Demonstrate advanced culinary methods related to pastry, bread making, and various international cuisines.
- Develop and cost-out a multi-course fine-dining menu including recipes and plate design.
- Demonstrate the ability to teach basic culinary techniques.
- Communicate orally or in writing the culture and history of various international cuisines.
- Evaluate orally or in writing a multi-course fine-dining menu.
- Cook and present food in an environment that engages a public audience.
|Required Core Courses|
|HCTM-100||Sanitation and Safety||2|
|HCTM-110||Introduction to Professional Culinary Arts & Kitchen Operations||3|
|HCTM-111||Introduction to Baking & Pastry||3|
|HCTM-190||Culinary Internship 1||3|
|HCTM-290||Culinary Internship 2||3|
To receive an Associate Degree, students must complete 60 degree applicable semester units with a grade point average of at least 2.0. Students must also complete the NVC General Education pattern to earn an Associate degree. Consultation with a Counselor is highly encouraged to ensure all requirements are met.